Sunday, February 10, 2008

Subtitles in Vlogs

Dear fellow DeafReaders,

This is an open letter to my fellow friends, the Deaf community, within DeafRead.

I enjoy each one of your v/blogs. I start my day off with a good cup of strong coffee and I have the laptop opened first thing to DeafRead. I simply have to have my daily dose of laughter when I view vlogs and I admit I do miss out some of the signs because being legally blind truly restricts my viewing abilities.

Seek Geo was the very first vlogger that subtitled his vlogs. Being dedicated to him, naturally, because of the subtitles. Others followed his path such as Banjo and McConnell. (I'm sorry if I forgot to mention others' names that subtitled their vlogs) There are others that subtitled their vlogs as well.

There has been a personal choice about subtitling vlogs in DeafRead. One say it is a lot of work doing subtitles, another vehemently opposes subtitling with ASL to preserve ASL as a language on its own.

I'm reaching out to my peers here, as a Deaf-Blind person, to make an effort to subtitle their vlogs because I truly do miss out your beautiful and interesting vlogs.

We, the Deaf-Blind community, literally are at the bottom of the totem pole. We constantly struggle and if I may point out, not to make an effort to subtitle the vlogs is an act of oppression.

I honestly hope you will take those in consideration, you all do have this powerful choice to make your vlogs accessible for your Deaf-Blind peers.

Tactile smile with love,
Patty

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patty!

I would like to say thank you for the compliment. *smile* Of course it is always everyone's personal choice to provide or not.

Only thing I wish is that these people need to learn to respect others for their own reason(s) why they want to provide subtitles.

If some people don't want to do it, that is fine, it is their choice. But at the same time, it is also mine and others' choice to provide one as well.

It means a lot for me to hear this coming from you.

Hugs
-SG

Have Myelin? said...

If I ever do a Vlog, I will certainly subtitle mine.

Right now my energy is limited, so Vlogs seem tiring...on top of other things. I have to pick and choose my battles I guess.

I did enjoy seeing YOU on the Vlogs you have and that was fun!!! :-)

You look wonderful Patty.