Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Hello beautiful friends!

Hi hi hi! How are you and your creativity juices doing?

I'm doing very good and have been quite busy lately. My sister and her family visited us & I've been thrilled to see them as it has been a while since I saw them. My nephew Jake enjoyed himself in Newfoundland for the Canadian Youth Deaf Games and my niece Kaylacame back from Argentina since competing for the World Deaf Volleyball Games. My nephew Kyle will be going to soccer camp very soon. They are very busy!

The past few days I have been sewing and doing coffee-staining. I had been struggling with holding and carrying my cane when I am sitting down on the city bus or visiting family/friends. I usually put my cane inside my purse and it can be awkward so I decided to sew a little carry-on for my cane. It has worked wonders for me so I will sew more for other blind people if they need it or not.

Photobucket

I had several doilies and they were too plain white for me. Back in the olden times, women would tea-stain their doilies or tablecloths because of the food stains. I took it upon myself to coffee-stain them rather than tea-stain for more darker colour.

I used a three step process for this. I used instant coffee grounds, boiling hot water and cinammon in the sink. I pretty much allowed the doilies to "marinate" in the sink for half-hour to achieve the colour I wanted. I washed it with cold water and hang it to dry then rewashed it with vinegar to set the stain. Hang to dry and I then washed it again with water and fragrance oil to remove the vinegar-y scent. The scent was Apple N Oak. Oh it smells good and looks really vintage!

Photobucket

I received a huge box of fabric from a friend I had ordered from. I love her stuff as she is the one I order my silicone bulbs from. I had an hour to spare before bedtime so I whipped up an apron from a simple pattern. It looks cute! The pattern was quite plain so I added flowers at the pocket part and now it looks even cuter!

Photobucket

Do share what you have done! I love to "see/hear" what you have done!

Tactile smile,
Patty oxox

1 comment:

Deaf Pixie said...

I like your homemade apron. it is really easy to make one. Love it! you sell these apron?