Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Deaf Blind Necessities

Things you would find in my backpack that I must have as Deaf Blind necessities, some define me as my character, some necessities for my RP and some for my deafness. All in all, Deaf Blind necessities that you may or may not relate with.

I carry the items in my backpack- relating to my RP.

Hat- I have to wear a hat because the sunlight does hurt my eyes.

1X - 3X magnifier - they are very important for reading menus and other small prints

hand sanitizer - nothing worse than smelling foul odour as I tactile and sniff other foul odours

gum/breath mint- my sense of smell is heightened so I do get headaches smelling bad breath and I admit I offer those to others


hand cream - I need to have soft hands because tactiling with others, tactiling with rough/chapped hands is like tactiling with sandpaper.

eye drops- I am so prone to dry eyes that I have to use them often.

appointment cards- It makes it easier to give to secretaries the cards of which doctors I have.

Sharpie/paper and mini dry erase board with dry erase marker - those are fantastic for communicating! Pen and paper don't work anymore for me. I need the thick and darker fonts.

White Musk oil from Body Shop- It's my signature scent and my nose picks up other scents so I sniff myself so I don't have to constantly smell other overwhelming scents.

Starbucks coffee covers to protect against heat.. I grab extra of those for other places that don't provide them. They are helpful when I can't afford to juggle both hands for one cup.


Blistex- my lips are constantly chapped from myself biting my lips from nervousness, fear of falling or tripping.

binoculars - they do help with viewing during road trips

gift cards to coffeehouses/shops(Tim Hortons/Starbucks/Second Cups)- I don't have to handle my wallet and the hot coffee. It's hard sometimes to place an order on my dry erase board, handle my wallet and my hot coffee, so I place my order on the dry erase board, put in backpack and use the gift card and then wait for my coffee with double coffee covers so I don't have to drop it from the heat. I also go to the same coffeehouses because the baristas know who I am and they put the coffee in a much bigger cup for me so I don't spill my coffee.

I have been checking around for a BlackBerry and text plan but there isn't a plan for the disabled consumers. I contacted around with Bell Canada and Rogers Canada as well. Both major companies don't carry a plan for the disabled. I even expressed my disappointment to both companies because they are actually doing a disservice to their disabled consumers as the Deafblind and Deaf community actually uses the BlackBerry a lot to communicate. They are charged the same rate and plan as the hearing consumers are only a rate more for "unlimited texts". I specifically asked if there was a flat rate just for texts and was told there was no such thing.

When living in Ottawa, ON, I did a short stint on an deaf advocacy board, we would advocate for our communication rights and so on. Since I am now Deafblind and experience a much more different life as a DB, I feel the "advocate" in me coming out again. However the "advocate" in me is rearing her head only just for me, mine and myself. I admit I sound selfish when I feel the need to advocate for my rights, it is for a good reason. I have to establish myself and my independence.

Oh yes, I am meeting with Beverly on Jan 24th and I am thrilled to pieces! She is going to answer a lot of my questions and concerns. There goes the self-advocate in me!

Tactile smile with love,
Patty oxox

3 comments:

Wander with Marc said...

Very interesting... I don't know what's more interesting, "Whats in the Queen's purse" or "in Patty's backpack?" Smile. Bisous and I'll try to remember to bring breathe mints next time I visit you! Hugsa

Wander with Marc said...

I came across this really cool site:
http://www.faceyourpockets.com/index1.html

You scan the contents of your most precious items and also your face into a scanner and post it on their website (and your website, if you like!) I think its really amazing and creative how some people have done that.

Patty Keen said...

Hugs Kootchie! Thanks for the great site, I loved it. I'm going to scan my things and my face in that website when I come across a scanner.

Heh heh, you cute about breath mints! Bisous, mein bruder! I miss you so much! Much love to you!
Love,
Patty oxox